The Externship program is designed for medical graduates (M.D., D.O., M.B.B.S., etc.) who graduated from a W.F.M.E, or W.H.O. and I.M.E.D. recognized Medical School.
This transitional program allow graduates from a Medical School to experience and be trained by faculty at reputable teaching hospitals. A certificate of completion and Letter of Recommendations (L.O.R.) may be earned after the course is completed.
The externship program is an integrated clinical training program offered at our clinical campuses. It is ideal for international medical students and graduates looking to gain experience in a U.S. teaching hospital location. Externs will assume a role parallel to that of an intern or resident with schedule flexibility and self-directed study.
Externs are expected to rotate through inpatient and outpatient services, attend high-yield didactic courses in Medicine, and become proficient in history taking, performing physical examinations and developing tailored treatment plans under the direct supervision of hospital appointed faculty. Externs work closely with clinical faculty in the residency program and may have access to notable board reviewers and authors in medical education. Externs will also partake in Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE) to familiarize themselves with various simulated patient-physician scenarios in order to fine tune their history taking skills, physical examination techniques, ability to formulate a proper assessment and plan and transcribe accurate patient write-up’s. With integrated program flexibility this externship may be extended to accommodate the academic process.
- Rotate through various inpatient and outpatient services based on availability.
- Appropriate access to specialized clinical areas: Emergency Department, Critical Care Unit, Long Term Care Units, Psychiatry and Perioperative Areas.
- Daily rounds, consults and case presentations with Board Certified Attending Faculty, fellows and residents.
- Opportunity to work with post-graduate trainees/residents in our approved graduate medical training programs such as Internal Medicine, PMR, Orthopedics, etc.
- Opportunity to attend high yield lectures and board review sessions by renowned faculty and university appointed faculty.
- Participate in Objective Structured Clinical Examinations.
- Submit weekly patient case logs and history and physical exam write-ups, with review by faculty.
- Offer subinternships and subspecialty clinical courses.
- Access to simulation lab for OSCE and clinical wards procedure training.
- Offer supervised Step 2CK, and Step 3 review courses.
- Residency interview preparation by experienced faculty and residency program associates.